Did you know that ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel is a Green Hotel?
We are passionate about the importance of creating a positive contribution to the environment. It hasn’t been an easy journey – The Victoria Hotel was built in 1880 and is the oldest, continually run hotel in Melbourne – to bring a 19th Century building up to 21st Century standards in terms of energy and water efficiency has been a challenge, albeit a good one. As a guide, the hotel follows the Accor initiative on the Planet 21 program. With Planet 21, AccorHotels has made 21 commitments in favour of sustainable development. ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel has currently achieved a Gold Status in this program.
So, what do we do specifically? Here’s a list of the hotel’s initiatives towards improving environmental sustainability:
- Implementation of energy saving devices throughout the building to reduce energy consumption in the hotel. This includes:
The use of LED lighting throughout the building
The usage of timers on façade lighting
The usage of sensor lights in laneway access points and public toilet
The usage of energy saving switches in guest rooms.
- Implementation of water saving strategies to assist in the conservation of water in the hotel. This includes:
Using signage to encourage and remind guests to be mindful about their water usage in the hotel
Installation of showerheads which promote the use of less water
Installation of dual flush toilets
Installation of time controlled water taps in public toilets
Recycling of water from the combi-ovens in the kitchen
- Constant encouragement to use bottle and can recycling bins throughout the hotel through the usage of recycling bins in all public areas, hotel rooms and office areas.
- Recycling office supplies such as paper, stationary and toners where possible
- Encouraging guests to reuse soap when they are in-house. Used soaps are collected upon each check out and are sent to Soap-Aid, where they reprocess and repack the soap to support children. By donating the used soap, the hotel reduces wastage and are supporting the community and environment.
- Recycling printer cartridges, batteries, light globes and faulty electrical equipment.
- Donating old blankets to the Bendigo Animal Welfare and Community Services.
- Installation of Variable Speed Devices on the HVAC chillers of the hotel. These VSD’s regulate the speed and rotational force of the chiller motor. Having these devices installed enables the HVAC system to work at minimum electrical usage, saving a significant amount of energy.
What are your thoughts about our contribution to the environment at the hotel? What are some of the best environmental sustainability practices have you seen on your travels? Leave a comment on our Facebook page or shoot us an e-mail!